5 August 2011

Fetish for Vanilla

Those that know me well know that I have some things in my life that I crave which if not treated can almost border obsessive.  One of those things is Vanilla.  Ahhh to float away in a cloud of Vanilla- the smell, the taste, the look of a Vanilla Bean Pod - I warned you it could border obessive!  When you combine my love of Vanilla with my other love of a cupcake - then it could quite easily become my little sweet version of heaven.


There is something so lush and simple about a moist, fluffy vanilla cupcake.  Everytime I think of Vanilla Cupcakes I instantly think sitting in a quaint little cafe on a cobblestone street in sweet Paris (France - my other borderline obsessive compulsion), enjoying a superlative coffee and devouring a Vanilla Cupcake that is topped with delicious 'melt in your mouth' buttercream.  Oh I just need a moment silence while I ponder that image..............



OK I am composed once again!!

I have tried many, many recipes in my quest to find the most perfect Vanilla Cupcake.  There have been some hits and misses along the way, but this one......ahhhhh.......this one is by far my favourite and has never failed to let me down. 

Lets Begin..........

Vanilla Fetish Cupcakes (this will make 24)

You will need:-

Electric Mixer
2 x Mixing Bowls
Spatula
Measuring Cups
Measuring Spoons
2 x 12 hole Cupcake Trays
24 cupcake cases

Ingredients

2 and 3/4 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
200g softened unsalted butter
1 and 3/4 cups castor sugar
4 large eggs
Seeds of 2 vanilla bean pods or 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
1 cup of milk
Pinch of sugar cinnamon (not required but a nice addition)

Here we go.......

  1. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line your cupcake trays with cupcake papers - I find that if I preheat my oven to a higher than required temperature then turn it down it gives the cupcakes that nice domed effect we all strive for
  2. Cut your butter into cubes and leave on a plate to soften - if you run out of time like I usually do it is fine to give it a quick zap in the microwave, remember we don't want runny we only want softened, so perhaps soften in 10 second burts in the microwave
  3. Sift together your flour and baking powder into one of the mixing bowls
  4. Put your butter into a mixing bowl and place under the mixer, cream your butter for roughly 2-3 mins on medium-high, you will notice it should start to slightly change colour
  5. Add your castor sugar to the butter one third at a time, beat for 3-4 mins after each addition
  6. Once you have added the last of the sugar make yourself a cup of tea and continue to beat the sugar and butter until it is light and fluffy and the sugar has almost dissolved
  7. Add your eggs one at a time - beating for 1 minute between after each addition
  8. Now it is time to add our Vanilla!!  Now if you have a bizarre fetish of Vanilla like I do then add the seeds of  2 pods, if not run with the tablespoon of vanilla essence.  Beat until all combined
  9. Add a third of the flour to the cream mixture and beat on low speed until all combined
  10. Add half of the milk and beat until combined - continue to repeat the process
  11. Add the last bit of the flour and beat until it is all mixed through - do not overbeat at this stage
  12. NOW REJOICE our delicious mixture is ready to go into our cupcake trays
  13. I should tell you to pipe the mixture into the cases, but you can just spoon it in if you prefer.  Fill up the cases just over halfway
  14. Turn your oven down to 160 degrees Celsius and pop those delicious morsels into the oven
  15. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
  16. Remove cupcakes from trays immediately and place on a wire rack until they are cool


Remember to take big breathes and take in that wonderful aroma!!  Ahhhhh the smell of fresh vanilla cupcakes straight out of the oven!!

Notes to Remember:-
  • you can use Buttermilk if you prefer instead of full cream milk either one works as well
  • you can use either Vanilla Bean Seeds or Vanilla Essence - I like the look of seeds myself but if you don't have then Essence is fine
  • pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees first then turn it down - this should provide you with that beautiful domed top
Top the with your favourite frosting, this works wonderfully well with the Swiss Meringue Buttercream!

Ahhh and now Ladies climb on that kitchen bench, hold your arms in the air and Rejoice..........hear those trumpets blast!!!! for we have created a delicious little piece of heaven.

Enjoy

Nanna Lush x

No comments:

Post a Comment