18 August 2011

Apples & Lemons

I am not sure about yourselves but for me this Winter has felt particulary long.  Much to my happy little self my favourite season of the year, Spring, is just around the corner!!  Yayyyy!!  The weather's warmer, the flowers are in bloom, the birds and singing and to my families relief I am a happier little Mama.

So with this in mind what is providing me with inspiration today?  Lemons and all things yellow. 



Needing to satisfy my craving for Lemons I was off to the kitchen today to whip up a delicious Lemon & Apple Cake.  You can substitute the Apples for any fruit you may have on hand, sometimes I will add Peaches, Pears or Berries.  I particulary love this recipe, it is easy and quick and always has me coming back for another piece.



Ingredients

175 grams butter, softened and chopped
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind (can add less if you wish)
3 eggs
1 cup plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of Cinnamon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
1/4 cup natural yoghurt
Sliced Fruit of your choice (apple, pears, peaches, berries)
Icing Sugar to dust
Double Dollop cream to serve

Method
  • Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees C.   Lightly grease a 25cm round cake tin, line the bottom of the tin with baking paper
  • Place the butter, sugar and lemon rind in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 6-8 mins or until light and creamy
  • Once complete add the eggs one at a time, beating for one minute between each one
  • Add the Vanilla and mix until combined
  • Sift together into a seperate bowl the flour, baking powder and cinnamon sugar, then add to the butter mixture until just combined
  • Remove the bowl from the beater and fold through the Natural Yoghurt
  • Spoon the ingredients into the prepared pan and top with your sliced fruit of choice
  • Bake for an hour or until a skewer comes out clean
  • Remove from the oven once cooked and leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely
  • Dust with icing sugar or cover with your frosting of choice and serve
Now if you will please excuse me I am off to finish my piece of cake.......



and dream I am laying here.........



on a beautiful Spring day!

Happy baking,

Nanna Lush x


No comments:

Post a Comment