10 August 2011

Chocolate Ruffles

There is something so pretty, girly and lush about ruffles!  Whether the ruffles be on some gorgeous linen or a bridal dress, I cannot seem to resist their frilliness and just adore them.  Old world, classic vintage charm comes to mind instantly.  Now team together gorgeous light pink fluffy ruffles, devine chocolate cake and Swiss Meringue Buttercream and well what can I say!!

I first saw this ruffling techinique whilst searching one day on You-Tube and thought I would love to give it a try.  After a few attempts (mind you my ruffles are still not perfect by any means and still require lots of practice) and scraping off the Buttecream from the cake quite a few times, I was pleased with my effort.

You will need:-

Buttercream Icing of your choice (I used Swiss Meringue)
Piping Bag
Piping Tip

I used a Wilton #103 piping tip (see below) to create the ruffles. 




Once I got the hang of the ruffling technique it seemed quite straight forward.  Once the cakes were cooled completely I applied a thin layer of buttercream so the ruffles had something to stick to.  Placing the cake onto a secure surface I filled my piping bag with buttercream and fitted with a large petal tip off I went on my little ruffling way.  I started at the bottom and just did a back and forth motion until I reached the top and then started all over again.  At this point I was going to add some step by step photos for you to follow, but thought it just as easy to attach the link to the You Tube video I also watched.





Some of my ruffles are not the best and I to need much more practise.  But I think you will agree, they are a simple way to turn a plain cake into a great cake, and suitable for lots of occassions!!


Now for the all important - TO DIE FOR - chocolate cake recipe!!

This made for me 2 x 6" cake tins

Ingredients

170g unsalted butter (softened)
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 3/4 cups plain flour
3/4 cup Premium Dutch Cocoa (I used the Equagold Brand)
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon iodonised sea salt flakes
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup mayonnaise (I used Thommy brand)

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.  Line your cake tins with baking paper.

In your mixer beat the brown sugar, butter and vanilla on medium high speed until slightly lighter in colour (roughly 5 mins) and slightly increased in volume.  Lower the speed of the mixer and add the eggs one at a time, mixing for one minute between each addition.

Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl.  Add the salt to the flour mixture after sifting and lightly whisk all together. 

Alternate the flour mixture and buttermilk into the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.  Mix until just incorporated.

Take bowl from under the mixer and fold the mayonnaise into the cake mixture.  Give a light whisk to incorportate

Divide the mixture into your pans.  I used 2 x round 6" cake tins.  Double the recipe according to the pan you are using.

Turn your oven down to 160 degrees and place the tins in the oven.  It took 50 mins for my cakes to cook, you may need to vary based on your oven.  The cakes are cooked when a toothpick or skewer comes out clean.  I tend to underbake my cakes slightly and allow them to complete cooking in the pans once out of the oven.

Place onto a heat proof surface and leave to cool in the cake tins.  Cover with your frosting of choice, make a cup of tea and indulge!!

Happy baking                                                          

Nanna Lush x    

No comments:

Post a Comment